SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Things your marina neighbours do...

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  rdstanley 
#1 ·
There are a couple of threads on the go about neighbours at the marina.

One sprays ducky-do onto their neighbour's boat; one ties off on the neighbour's cleat; not to mention Alex's whacked out neighbour...

Anyhow I'm sure that there are a million stories out there in the naked ocean.

What does (or has) a neighbour at your marina do (done) that leaves you a) scratching your head in bewilderment; b) laughing your ass off; c) reaching for the phone; d) reaching for your camera; e) reaching for a weapon; f) reaching for a bottle?

I'll start.

I've only been sailing a couple of years so I don't have a lot of stories. My neighbours have been great so far. That said, the guy I share my finger dock with always leaves 2 or 3 buckets of water on the dock. I've asked him why - I'm sure he has told me but I can't remember his response. The finger is quite narrow and the buckets take up most of the width of it. They are only a concern when landing, as they are close to where my crew step onto the dock. It's really not a big deal, and I would feel very comfortable asking my neighbour to move them - & I'm sure he would. I just can't figure out what they are for. They are never used (as far as I can tell) for cleaning, cooking etc. We have faucets accessible on the main dock and my neighbour has a hose attached to his. I guess I'll wait until the season starts to ask him again what the water is for.

I'm sure many of you can do much better than that. So let's hear it...

See less See more
#2 ·
I just can't figure out what they are for. They are never used (as far as I can tell) for cleaning, cooking etc. We have faucets accessible on the main dock and my neighbour has a hose attached to his. I guess I'll wait until the season starts to ask him again what the water is for.
If the tide is low and he can't pull out of the slip, the buckets are part of a clever plan to raise the water level.:D

Stories like these make me appreciate our mooring.:)

#4 ·
I've been sailing for awhile, I've even got to sail for three years done in Gitmo, Cuba and I've had a (gas head boater) for a neighbor once that I think he thought he was Mr. Dock Party. His motor boat was all decked out in strings of christmas lights and he had 4 large sterio speakers on his deck that I don't think played anything at anything less than an 8 on the rickter scale. To make matters worse, when ever my wife and I would go down to our sailboat for a quite weekend be either to sail or to just get away, this A$$hole would try his level best to not only bother us with his tunes but every time we would be out on dect he would bust his A$$ to come out and become part of our doings. I love to read and enjoy a good cigar and a drink in the evening and this butt head would be there and want to talk talk and then talk some more. It got so bad I would call the marina before hand to see if this A$$hole was there that weekend or not. This is why we moved out boat to a sailboat only marina on the Rappahannock river off the Chesapeake. Now I am not saying that sailboat owners don't party a bit, but they, at least at this marina now that when it get's to be around 10PM they know it's time to close things down. Anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Mike
s/v Blue Bayou

#5 ·
some people just don't listen

Guy I'm going to Florida with, me as mate. We tie up to a Army barge and are rafted off two other boats. Along comes another, and we know there is no anchoring where we are, so he will have to tie up to us. He does. Says "Wake me in the AM and I will make coffee for everyone."
Me "Make it now.
Says he "No, wake me in the morning before we get started and I will make coffee."
Me "Make it now."
Says he..." I'll make coffee in the morning!"
Me "make it now".

Morning comes. I hear Santa's reindeer on the roof...no..I wake from my dream and scramble to the deck ( I learned to sleep with my cloths on.) to see the boss has one line already off, motor going, and he tells me to get the bow line. I do. And we are off, in the fog, down the Hudson! The neighbor wakes up and is bewildered to be in the middle of the Hudson, secured to another boat, when I say "Got coffee?" He just looked bewildered, then pissed off.
My boss did these things the whole trip, and this was just one exciting part of it.

#6 ·
Bottom sanded

Bottom sanded their boat without a vacuum or a tent to capture the dust!!

Took about ten other boat owners, including myself, days to clean up the bottom paint particulate from our decks and boats.

The guy was not allowed back into the yard the next season..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Please DON'T be RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
There was a guy who borrowed his brother-in-law's soda blasting setup and sodablasted his boat without having the boat tented properly.... Got baking soda and bottom paint on a dozen boats and he ended up having to clean up the yard and replace about six tons of contaminated gravel. Good thing he had a landscaping company... ;) Had guys there for four days digging up and replacing the gravel.

#10 · (Edited)
My fishing neighbor always brings back his catch and if he has extra he will clean and fillet them and give them away to anybody who wants them.
We always have impromptu dinners at the gills; we all cook our own meat and than share salads, sides, etc. It does not have to be a special event, this happens on a regular basis. (the fillets from above will be shared by all)<O:p</O:p
When casting off or approaching, we always lend a hand if the captain asks for a hand.<O:p</O:p
My neighbor helped me install my new speakers last year.<O:p</O:p
We lend each other tools if needed.<O:p</O:p
My neighbor let me borrow his inflatable so I could wash my hull.<O:p</O:p
The first one up in the morning makes the coffee and anybody who wants some is welcome to it.<O:p</O:p
I am known on the Docks as the omelets King. If I'm making omelets anybody who wants one is welcome to it.
We have raft off parties; we anchor in close proximity and swim to the beach or each other's boats.
<O:p</O:p

You guys need to find new neighbors, we have very little to complain about.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

#11 ·
So my buddy Brian was secured to our long float near the transient moorage area and this fancy white transient stink pot was ahead of him and the 4 of them were sitting in their fancy white & red spotted deck chairs in a circle on the dock chit-chatting it up. Brian was standing in his galley cooking up some coffee when he spies upon they're little poodle walk over and crap on his excess bow line sitting on the float and he also watches these people pointing at the dog and smiling but doing nothing.

So Brian takes his time, puts his sugar and milk in his coffee, grabs his giant plastic soup spoon and a book and climbs into his cockpit. He stands up straight and stretches his arms out wide making himself quite visible and noticed, then he kicks back in his cockpit with his book.

After about 10 minutes he picks up his soop spoon, casually stepping onto the float and he meanders over to his line. He stoops down and scoops it up and out of the corner of his eye he can see these people watching him and looking sheepish. With the $hit on the stick, he walks over to the edge of the float between the bow of his boat and the bow of theirs where there is a nice open spot of water for dumping it.

He then dumps it on the bow of their boat and casually walks back to his cockpit and continues with his book.

These people said absolutely nothing and were soon on their way.

#12 ·
We never got to properly meet our neighbors, and their boat was for sale. Now it's been gone for weeks, and more than a few slips are open around us. I wonder if people have their boats out for cleaning before "the season" starts, or if they are really gone for good....

#13 ·
My ex-slip neighbor (I've since moved about 12 slips away), is what my kids called the "man-woman"...a cross-dresser. Our first meeting (in full female mode...and who bears a striking resemblance to Twisted Sister's Dee Snyder in high heels) he strikes up a conversation and asks me my name..being polite I ask his. He replies, " I have 2 names...one when I'm a boy...and another if I'm a girl." So I learn to live with this real life cartoon character. But one day, as I'm pulling down the halyards to wash them, he comes out half-n-half....I can handle one or the other....but not this. He comes over to start a conversation and I just pull down both halyards. As I'm walking off the dock, it occurs to me...I didn't use a pilot line!!!

#16 ·
I was transient at a marina and got up early in the morning. I was sitting in the cockpit relaxing when a girl gets off a go-fast boat and walks down the dock. She's wearing hot pants, seamed stockings and 4" heels. Several times she launches a big loogie into the water. I wonder what bad taste she was trying to get rid of???

#20 ·
I call my neighbours cheech and chong. If you get my drift. You would if you could smell the smoke coming from their cabin every evening. It's a decrepid old steel 40' ******** that doesn't leave the dock. They stay on it for the summer. All the low lifes from town find there way round looking for a party etc. When they first showed up I was neighbourly and lent him my dinghy gas can for his runabout he also has. This was Sunday evening as we were leaving and he says he will be sure to fill it up if he needs to use it to go fishing for the evening just in case his tank runs out. I told him that I will leave my storage locker unlocked and he can put it away tommorow and just lock the padlock. I had my dinghy outboard in there and lots of other valuables. Well I come back Friday to leave for a sailing weekend to find my locker still open and no gas can and no neighbour. I have to go into his boat, retrieve my now empty gas can and get it filled before leaving errrrrrrrr!! I come back to my slip sunday, guess where the runabout is left? In MY F****** SLIP. Nice neighbour eh?

#21 ·
We must be really fortunate. Our neighbors are great. To be honest they are the reason we keep our boat on this dock. We have a couple of different live aboards (good ones) who keep an eye on our boat. The neighbors and the comraderie really make the experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.