SailNet Community - View Single Post - Updated Offshore Cruising Boat List - January 2008
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Hirsch gulfstar 45

I am glad that Gulfstar made the list. Some of the Gulfstar models are less than desirable to me. The one I did buy ( my 3rd and last sailboat) is a Hirsch Gulfstar 45. The points I like the best are the the extra ballast compared to the Tartan 44, The huge chain plates like the Morgan 60, the shorter robust mast like the Morgan 41, all the tankage, (150 gal of water and 97 gal of fuel) no teak on the out side of the boat ( all stainless or aluminium), points well but a little loose down wind, looks cool and still sells for about what it did new so a great buy, ( mine cost $119,00.00 new with dual A/C and electronics in 1985). To buy one now in good shape will run from $89,000-$125,000. After 24 years no soft spots and really minor gelcoat cracking. There are pictures of it on my cruising pictures here. Lastly I wanted to say that it is fast, ( won a few races when it newer like the Amigos Race in 1986 to Mexico ) and very comfortable at sea. Too bad they only made a few. My friend looked for a year to buy a boat and he and his wife just could not decide on one.One week after seeing my boat they tracked one down and bought it. It's been about 9 months now and they are still on their honeymoon with their boat. I've had mine 5 years now and still love it. Sorry to be so long winded.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook