SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trimaran Sailing
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004

traff is on a distinguished road
Trimaran Sailing

I''ve got a little corsair F-27. (It''s currently docked in Bimini). It''s a pretty fast boat that commonly cruises in the teens while still keeping me dry and comfy.

I definitely wouldn''t call it a "blue water" boat, but as for coastal cruising and handling occaisional short range crossings, it does so quite well.

While crossing the banks over to Nassau, I sail into "the tongue of the ocean". (just N. of Andros.) This convergence of seas commonly suffers from large waves often comming at you from several directions.

Last March, on my way to Nassau, I encountered seas with waves over 20 feet high. - Confidence was high, that me and my little tri would be "mix-mastered" into little pieces.

But, it didn''t happen. After making 4 crossings of the Gulf Stream and getting caught in winds exceeding 40 kts, my appreciation and confidence in "my little tri", continues to grow. note: - The F-27 was recently inducted into the sailboat hall of fame. It is only the 2nd multi-hull to do so. (the Hobie 16 was the first)

You might want to check out the f-boat forum site listed below. Find somebody with a boat close to you and ask em for a ride. (the F-27 isn''t being made anymore and has been replaced by the F-28. You''ll find folks to chat with you, that own f31''s, 33''s and even larger tris as well)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/F-Boats/?yguid=107210081

Best to ya,

Traff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook