SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gas Spill in water

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
My neighbors boat sank in the next slip the marina did nothing to contain this and the oil and gas is heavy in the water. I remember him telling me the tanks were full and now the water is full of gasoline. Do you think this will hurt my bottom paint my boot stripe or what ever.

#3 ·
Ya you would expect to see them placing a dam around the boat and using oilsorb but here in New Orleans they do little to make anyone accountable for any thing they do.I smelled fuel all night and twice got up and squirted Dawn soap in the water you can see the stuff bubbling up in one foot patches. No more crabbin off the dock for awhile.I wonder if his insurance will cover damage to my paint?????

#4 ·
The only way fuel can escape from an intact sunken boat is through the tank vent. Consider how easy it would be to clamp off the vent line, stop up the exit fitting, etc.
Considering the exhorbitant fines and cleanup costs they face, I don''t know why every boater does not have a quick fix that a snorkeler can implement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.