SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004

c172guy is on a distinguished road
I think that as sailors we think about the enormity of the universe and ponder things more than the average person. Probably we travel more and experience other cultures more than the average person. We are also probably more open to other cultures. Most religions are self consistent and if you are immersed in the religion and culture they make perfect sense. At sea on a starry night it is hard not to think about the meaning of it all and our place in the world.
Working at a university I''ve met many people from other cultures. The Chinese and Russians mostly seem to think that our supersistions are quaint. Hindus seem to think Jesus is just another manifestation of Brahma. Jews and Muslims generally seem tolerant of Christians as long as they don''t try to convert them to christians. Buddist seem to be the most open minded and tolerant. My fear is that as religions grab more and more power that the world becomes a less and less loving humanistic place.
I hope that I get to sail my sailboat to many different cultures and that they will be friendly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook