SailNet Community - View Single Post - Splicing anchor rode
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Skimping on ground tackle, especially emergency ground tackle strikes me as somewhat penny-wise and pound foolish in the extreme. If there is any line on a boat that I'd want to know was in excellent shape and of unquestioned quality, it'd be my emergency anchor line.

By definition, if you're using the emergency anchor, you're probably going to be putting some considerable strain on it. Whether it is because you need to stop the boat to deal with a fouled prop, a genoa that won't furl or sudden storm that has popped up, you don't want to have to worry about how long the line will last and whether it is up to the strain.

You can get 30' of 5/16" G4 high-test chain and 220' of 5/8" nylon octo-plait pre-spliced rode for $310. Add a load-rated anchor shackle to it for another $10 or so... and your choice of anchor.

BTW, I am a big believer in the next gen anchors, and think they are a considerable improvement over the older designs, like the CQR, Bruce and Danforth. Get a Manson Supreme or Rocna as they are worth the extra money IMHO.
Ok. I hear you. In that vein, then, do I go with the conventional 3 strand twisted nylon, which looked like the low cost option, or is there a better cord for anchor rode that might cost me a little more?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook