SailNet Community - View Single Post - Splicing anchor rode
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Octo-plait or eight strand braided is a good line with a lot of beneficial characteristics for an anchor rode, and usually not significantly more money than the three-strand laid line. It doesn't have a tendency to hockle as does the three-strand, and it flakes far more compactly, which means you can store the rode in a smaller space. Windlasses handle it well, and many windlass manufacturers recommend it for their rope/chain gypsies, and it can take a good chain-to-rope splice so it feeds through the gypsy well.

As I said previously, you can get pre-spliced rodes at a reasonable price with G4-high-test chain pre-made. You do have to inspect the splice for wear regularly, but other than that and rinsing it with fresh water, they don't require much maintenance.

A good woven chafe protector is a necessity. The reason I like the woven chafe protectors is that they help prevent the second major reason for anchor line failure—heat buildup due to internal friction—which the plastic/rubber hose chafe protectors can cause. The woven ones let water through to cool and lubricate the anchor rode, helping prevent heat buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
Ok. I hear you. In that vein, then, do I go with the conventional 3 strand twisted nylon, which looked like the low cost option, or is there a better cord for anchor rode that might cost me a little more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook