SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hot/dry exhaust installation
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004

owenmccall is on a distinguished road
Hot/dry exhaust installation

I would much prefer to do a waterlift, and the bilge is deep enough to position such a muffler below engine level. However, the side discharge means that the top loop of such a system would have to go up to almost saloon overhead level (to prevent siphoning when heeled). This would result in excessive backpressue in the exhaust, I fear. Although the authorities seem to be divided on this point; some feel back pressure is a critical issue, while others advise that it is essentially a NON-issue!
This boat, an S&S 30 was built by Aquafibre, Ltd., of Rackheath, England in 1971. The S&S 34s (e.g. Fastnet racer Morning Cloud of Prime Minister Edward Heath fame) also have this side exhaust (See Good Old Boat cover, issue before last. That boat, Redline, is an S&S 34, and you can see smoke exiting just above the bootstripe on the port side. (I wonder if they flipped the negative over - my boat has the exit on the starboard side.))
The other problem with a waterlift setup is the potential to siphon through the water pump. The engine is located dead center in the middle of the saloon (under the table). There is no room above the engine for an anti-siphon loop unless it penetrates the dinner table!
Therefore I have reluctantly decided on a long hot/dry run to the head/saloon wall where the standpipe is located.
Owen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook