SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost rigging while sailing
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Yes a STAINLESS swage on ALUMINUM. When I bought this boat the first thing I did was call my rigger. He had a box of failed rigging parts and in this box was about 10" of the aluminum Hyde extrusion and the failed top swivel. There was lots of corrosion up in there that probably helped lead to the failure. Having seen it first hand it helped make my decision to spend 2K on a new furler easier.

I don't know to many vessels that use aluminum as a rigging wire/medium but Hyde did and they mixed it with stainless which we all know can lead to disimilar metal corrosion. I suspect, from seeing this piece, that the epoxy pour is what failed and lead to the internal corrosion.

I don't doubt you may have never seen a failure but apparently they did and could occur with the Hyde system. This is why I used the word "some" not "all" or "many" or "lots" because I couldn't assume I was looking at the only Hyde failure in that box. Who knows, perhaps I was...?

Either way my boat has all new standing rigging and a new furler properly installed and I have much more comfort in knowing that especially with the picture of the Hyde parts still in my head.
Hey, I'm not gonna claim that the Stream Stay was the cat's meow. I'm just saying that the fact that it's swaged, and not simply relying on epoxy to hold it together is a rather important point to omit. No?

The fact is, there are many of these systems still in use today. Some 30 years after they quit making them. That speaks pretty well for their longevity.
There are failures in all equipment sometimes. Tested, proven and trusted parts fails sometimes. Whether because of a mistake in production or installation, who knows? Stuff happens.
Some Camry's are lemons. But that doesn't mean that they aren't a good car.

That's all I'm saying.

I have a Stream Stay to rebuild sitting in the yard now. Sure wish I could talk the owner into a new furler. Rebuilding those old things is a greasy PITA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook