SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine Removal
Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004

RoadTool is on a distinguished road
Engine Removal

I really have no idea on the specifics on your boat or your engine so just in generalities ........ get a timber 4x4 or 6x4 , long enough to span your companionway , then build up above your cabin top with either timbers or concrete block to attain enough height to clear your cockpit bridge for clearance to coincide with the engine height to clear . Oh ya off the 4x4 crossways hitch a come along , a chain hoist of sorts , it will always be easier to use a tool rather than manpower ..... as for attaching the hook to the engine remove a bolt and go to a local hardware and get a eye bolt the coinciding size to tap in the hole the bolt came out of .

Now from there the task begins , if your repowering plan to remove the old engine from the cockpit the same time the new arrives , hire a towtruck being sky hooks arent available .

When I removed my A4 out of my Tartan 27 I stripped it and did the same as I explained , I already had the coaming boards removed so I didnt have to contend with cockpit coamings , I simply had 3/4" plywood on the cockpit seating and slid the engine to the edge then took the stripped A4 down the ladder with a rope directly to a truck bed . I was rebuilding the A4 so I wasnt wanting to destroy it , if your present engine is scrap , shove it off the deck and stand back .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook