SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remembering Bill Tripp
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009

inntoon is on a distinguished road
I used to own Invicta hull#14 and a dear friend owns Invicta hull#2 which was a 36 footer built by Palmer Johnson. She was started in 1959 and finished in August,1960. She was rigged but launched with no interior and then sailed to (presumably) the Pearson yard where she was finished. The original owner imported 200 gallons of epoxy resin (only available from Switzerland at the time) for her layup.

This coincides with Pearson's expansion. Models went up to the Alberg 35 and I'm guessing that either Palmer Johnson wasn't interested in adding the model to their line or that Pearson showed interest in the design and made a deal directly with Bill Tripp (or with P-J). At any rate, they lengthened the mold to 37' 8" (probably to differentiate it from their 35 foot offering) and then produced the remaining Invictas in Rhode Island.

I'm wondering if anyone has any details of how this boat actually transitioned from Palmer to Pearson. My understanding is that Palmer Johnson produced two invictas before Pearson took over.

Thanks,

Dave Bricker
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook