SailNet Community - View Single Post - Origo/CookMate gimbals
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Origo/CookMate gimbals

I've noticed a few people on this forum use non-pressurized alcohol stoves by Origo or CookMate. I've just received one and I'm a little bit baffled by the gimbal brackets.

They look like this (picture is rotated to the right, sorry):

You use thumbscrew (a) to attach the big square plate to the end of the bracket near (d). The stove is attached to the big square plate, and the bracket is mounted on a bulkhead via the three holes in the top left of the diagram. The whole thing should be rotated left from how it's depicted in the diagram.

What baffles me is the following: the instructions say that you use the thumbscrews to adjust the friction. However the bracket is jointed on a sliding joint -- but it can only fold in one direction.

Does anybody know what this joint is for? The instructions seem to imply that the gimbaling axis is the line connecting the thumbscrews, so another joint doesn't seem to have any function. I've never used a gimbaling stove before, so I don't quite know what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Further info: I'm planning on mounting the stove in the well that the old (pressurized alcohol) stove used to sit it, the thumbscrew axis oriented fore-and-aft. My C27 is the "galley forward dinette" layout depicted here. I plan to arrange that joint so it can be used to keep the stove level on the starboard tack (if I use it at all).