SailNet Community - View Single Post - So are you really happy with your Island Packet?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009

IP32Haefen is on a distinguished road
I haven’t done nearly as much sailing as I would like but would not say it takes your breath away. For me that is saved for race boats carrying too much sail, on purpose, when the wind picks up. Having had too much sail up for the wind the IP just takes it in stride as the specs would suggest. It does seem to prefer to be sailed conservatively and I would not expect racers to like that but those who like to keep sailing when the wind picks up or have distance to travel would like that.

But it is not IMO a particularly great heavy weather boat based on how it handled the only storm I’ve been in with it. The wide beam, canoe body, and relatively lightweight meant the boat got pushed around more than other smaller, narrow beam but almost as heavy boats I’ve sailed. Not as bad as lighter faster boats so I could see why some think they are good when the seas pick up. Like all boats it is a compromise. If you come from faster lighter boats, then it is a good heavy weather boat, if you come from heavy narrow beamed full keel boats then it is not so good.

IP does pack a lot of good things into a small boat and has very good on the hook qualities. It is a warm and dry boat thanks to the freeboard, full liner and deep dry bilge. It is also a cool boat because all portlights and hatches open fully. This makes for a very enjoyable boat and sailing a safe and enjoyable pastime, life even.

IMO if you are not crossing oceans then blue water passage makers may not be the best choice and make an IP a better choice. If you spend the week dreaming of putting a rail in the water on Saturday then maybe the IP is not such a good choice. One of the people that sold me on this boat was a poster at this site who has many negative posts on the topic. My expectations and sailing style is almost the opposite of his so would of course like boats he doesn’t.

Be honest in what you will be doing with the boat and why you are buying it and chances are you’ll make the right choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook