SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rigging for Self Tacking
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
I'm just trying to visualize this and noodle it through...

In the turning block at the foot of the mast scenario. A single sheet would be tied to the clew, fed through a turning block at the forward base of the mast, and the other end of the sheet would come back to the cockpit where it could be paid out or pulled in for trim.

Ignoring the efficiency of furling the jib clew to the front of the mast for a moment (because a smaller jib "could" be used)... This setup would only allow the clew to travel from one lifeline to the other, (e.g. close hauled to a border line close reach). Otherwise when the sail went up and over the lifeline even with lifeline rollers, the downward angle of the sheet to the turning block would have it sawing against the top of the lifeline and destroying the sail shape.

BUT... what if instead of attaching the block to the "base" of the mast you attached it to the spinnaker pole ring moved down to a point that was near level with the topmost lifeline? Wouldn't that allow the clew to travel outboard as far as you wanted without any downward force causing the sheet to be bent over the top of the lifeline?

I'm just trying to understand if there's any way possible to rig for occasional, functional, albeit maybe not pretty, self tacking that could be used in fairweather conditions, (not in a gale), without the expense of a major deck hardware upgrade.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook