SailNet Community - View Single Post - Meet the Mods
Thread: Meet the Mods
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Meet the Mods

Welcome Everyone to Sailnet!!!!

We are the moderators of the site (well, I am in the middle... my kids keep me in line!!!). I thought this might be a good introduction to get to know us. I am CruisingDad, the best looking of the moderators and the best sailor (HEHEHE). I got into "large" boat (fixed keel) sailing around 1995 or so. I have primarily owned Catalina's - including a Catalina 250, 320, 380, and 400 (the one I own now), though I have sailed many others. I lived aboard with my family (wife, 2 dogs and a 1 yo at that time) in SW FLorida and we cruised around a bit on our 380 and pretty much saw about every square inch of water there and land that could be seen there!

(A PIC OF OUR 380 before a Trip to the Tortugas)

Since then we bought a new boat (Catalina 400) and have spent the last few years getting her ready to go off and do it again!

I also talked my parents into buying a boat and going with us this time. My parents bought a Tayana Vancouver 42. We pretty much go everywhere together and are getting each others boats down quite well!

They keep it only a few slips down from me in Lake Texoma right beside where they lay up the hulls for Valiant Yachts. Our timetables have been pushed back a bit due to the economy and some personal matters, but we hope to be able to get back out ther before long and do it again.

My personal interests are primarily cruising with kids and "coastal" sailing in this hemisphere. That would include all of the islands and many parts of South America. My two dream areas that I want to go to are the Galapagos Islands and St. Lucia. I refuse to go to either place unless via my own boat... so I have been to neither. Still does not hurt to dream! I currently have a 8 yo boy and a 5 yo boy. They have basically grown up on sailboats and can identify more fish than most Marine Biologists (especially if they taste good or not). I am often teased on this board as I am a big proponent of grilling and hence carry two BBQ grills depending on what I am going to cook and where!!!

We (the mods) strive to create a unique flavor at Sailnet. We do not want it to be dry and purely sailing. Hence, there is an Off Topic and War/Religous/Politics forum. We as mods rarely go to the latter, so enter at your own risk. We also encourage a free and open dialogue elsewhere on the forum that is at most PG and more preferably G rated. I want most of the forums outside of these areas to be something that I would not cringe to show my wife and children. That does not mean we do not allow humor and joking around... we do. But, we try to balance it on good humor and friendliness. There are many heated debates. Why? Ask any four sailors their opinion and they will give you five answers. As long as the opinions do not cross to personal or become too slanderous, we generally allow them to stand. We encourage friendly debates here - but they must be done in a friendly fashion. You can guess that it is often difficult to manage/moderate this type of a forum... but we feel that is what gives Sailnet a different flavor from the other sites on the internet and we feel that is what contributes to our very large success.

We encourage participation from new and experienced sailors alike. Ask your questions!!!! That is what we are for. Help out when you can... that is also what we are for. Have fun and enjoy the site.

I am always happy to help in any way I can. I am passionate about sailing and cruising... especially with kids. We (my family and I) are no experts on anything, but we have managed to make do like most American families I guess. Again, welcome to Sailnet. We are glad you are here.

- CD (Brian)

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 04-13-2009 at 04:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
dawnssong4u (08-27-2013)