SailNet Community - View Single Post - Meet the Mods
Thread: Meet the Mods
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Greetings Everybody,

I "re-introduced" myself a month or two ago, but CD had the idea for all the mods to post intros in a dedicated thread. He threatened us with embarrassing photos if we didn't comply, so here it is again, more or less:

I have been a member of SailNet for a LONG stretch -- since 1999. Back then -- in the days of dial-up -- it was laborious to participate in all the forums, so I mostly focussed my attention in the Pacific Seacraft forum.

When I finally got a broadband connection (late adopter ), the "Introduce Yourself" thread didn't exist so I just jumped right in to the forums. So I thought I'd post a belated introduction.

For those who don't know me, I'm a Chesapeake based mono-hull sailor, and I've been a moderator here at SailNet since last year. My first sailing experiences were with windsurfers back in the late '70s. But I really got the sailing bug in college when I had the opportunity to crew aboard a Rival 38 in the Med, visiting places like Corsica, Sardinia, Cote D'Azure, Balearic Islands, mainland and Peloponese Greece, Aegean Dodecanes and Cyclades, Ionian coast of Turkey, etc.

I've done some limited off-shore passages (longest was about 6 days, Brewer 44), and have raced quite a bit on the Chesapeake in the early-mid-90s. We campaigned my brother's New York 36 pretty successfully, and later another brother's Melges 24 (somewhat less successfully, including some "roadtrips" to do the Figawi). I've been to Key West Race Week as crew on a friend's J30 -- which was fun! -- and helped another friend campaign his Pearson 30 and later an Evelyn 32 on the Chesapeake as well.

Many of my family members have owned sailboats. Besides the NY36 and Melges24 mentioned above, we have or have had an Albacore, O'Day 22, Catalina 22, Tartan 27, Beneteau First 285. I've spent a fair bit of time aboard all those boats.

When my wife and I started a family, the racing bug sort of left me. We got our first cruising boat -- a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 -- when two of our three kids were still in diapers. Now we sail a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31, which seemed big when we got it but has somehow shrunk as the kids have grown. Besides the mothership, we have a Dyer Midget sailing dinghy and an 11.5' sailing pram that my kids and I built ourselves a few years ago.

Don't run me off, but I also admit to liking certain kinds of powerboats.

In my family, I am known for investing in expensive sunglasses, tools, radios, etc, and then dropping them overboard. It is an annual ritual.

Here's our homemade dinghy beached at a favorite swimhole:

Here' are a few of our shantyboat under sail:

Tied alongside at one of our favorite destinations, the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum:

And, so you can put a face to the name, here are a few photos of me, including one with my dad.

I hope to see you on the water. - JRP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT