SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
CD - awesome post. This is good stuff. Here are some of the interesting take-aways:

1. Though I know you didn't mean it as such - I think a feeder of the production/blue debate is this statement/perception:

"I guess you could take one straight out of the box and circle the world, but it would take more seamanship and more luck than you might need for a Valiant of similar size. In order to reduce the need for luck and/or seamanship skills, you can start making changes to the boat..."

This is really an interesting paradox, one that possibly drives a lot of people to buy a blu - then perhaps be too relaxed about the weather and seamanship - i.e. - "the boat can handle it". It makes you wonder. Does perceived fragility increase skill/attention? Does perceived strength decrease them?

2. The 5 day window is a great rule of thumb as far as I'm concerned. I'd not thought about it in those terms. I was thinking more distance - which is wrong. It's about the weather...always.

3. The realistic limitations of tankage is another important consideration - and one I'm just beginning to understand since I mostly pee off the stern into the lake.

4. Finally, I've always agreed with your 99% on-the-hook maxim, although you might get some blowback on that one due to your notorious (and I'm sure errant) reputation as a dock-dweller.

So - the Benes and Catalinas seem well-suited to pushing the blue edge a bit with what we'll call "minor" modification. Yes?

Other productions that have hammered away successfully?

1. I don't know the answer to that question. I find many people relying too much on electronics and gadgets versus seamanship, but I cannot comment on the other. I have seen both very knowledgeable and not knowledgeable that buy those boats.

In the right hands (and luck), a Bene and Catalina could probably go anywhere. Understand too that there are some basic things that are difficult to change. FOr example, the cockpit is large on these boats. A pooper would not be pretty. Luckily, it would also run off quickly, but it would seriuosly add a lot of weight while there. I honestly do not know what the effect of it would be. Also, the rudder is not protected. You might want to consider some type of alternate means to steer - maybe a pre-fabbed jerry-rigged rudder?? The thought has seriously crossed my mind. Also, most production boats have lots of hatches. These are a plus when anchored and a negative when at sea. Most of the other things can be modified I guess??

I am curious what others think.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook