SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stuffing Box Trouble
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Another idea

Just thinking aloud here. Are you sure that your are not moving the packing nut when you are tightening the locking nut. Like I said in my first post, it is easy to do even when you think that you are not.

So if I understand you from your posted statements, you can get a decent flow at rest and when the shaft is spinning, but not when the lock nut is brought against the packing nut, correct?

Is this a standard stuffing box set-up (Packing nut, threaded flanged section that goes into the flex tube/bellows, and a lock nut between the packing nut and the bellows) or something different? Does the locking nut also help compact the flax in some way or have a compression seal that seals against the packing nut in some way? This could cause a seal that wouldn't let water out and would be in-line with the observation of drips only when the locking nut is not engaged.

Before the flax was changed, did the SB work with the packing/lock nut properly tightened, just excessively?

DrB