SailNet Community - View Single Post - Here's the plan
Thread: Here's the plan
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-14-2009 Thread Starter
Here's the plan

I have started a plan toward retiring and sailing. Number one factor is getting the Admiral all in.

A little background on myself. I am retired Navy (23 years) and loved every minute of being at sea. Retired 7 years ago. My final years I was Officer of the Deck underway and there is nothing better than being responsible for all aspects of safety and navigation of a 550' US destroyer. So I gained alot of navigation experience.

Since retiring I have really gotten into sailing. Did a year with Sailtime, sailing a Hunter 33. Obtained my ASA 101, 103 and 105 certifications. Time and money weighed in their for a while. Have been sailing the sounds of NC in a Hunter 216 as well as recreational sailing on my Hobie 16. While the wife does not know whether cruising is for her or not I would leave yesterday.

Experience is the limiting factor here, both on my part and hers. We have a place on the Currituck Sound in NC where I can get a ton of sailing experience (as mentioned on the Hunter 216). I am looking at either a Catalina 22, Precision 21 or Com-Pac Eclipse for weekend excursions and to increase my sailing skills. Imperative during this that I teach the Admiral all she needs to know about sailing.

Later move up to a 33-36' something (that is another thread) and sail further.

Sorry for the long thread.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome