SailNet Community - View Single Post - Here's the plan
Thread: Here's the plan
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
You have gotten some good advice here already. If the Admiral needs to learn the basics of sailing, safety and boat handling have her attend a good sailing school. Both of you should get good comprehensive first aid training (You probably already have that from the military)

The next step I would take would be to charter a bare boat for a week or two. If she likes the charter experience you're in there
Never having sailed out of sight of land, my wife wasn't sure she would like voyaging so we signed on as crew in a square rigger sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii. She liked it so much she stayed with the ship another three weeks and went to Fiji while I went back to work , Then she started looking for delivery crew opportunities and sailed a schooner from San Diego to Kauai. She was well and truly bitten by the cruising bug and loves to be at sea at least as much as I do.

You already have more experience than a lot of cruisers I know. For most, the problem is not sailing skills but never having been out of sight of land in any kind of vessel. As you know, there is a world of difference between day-sailing and two or three weeks at sea. If the Admiral trusts you to take her to sea (One would hope) all you need to do is find a boat she likes.

Latest video cruising log added 4-14-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook