SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rigging for Self Tacking
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
I may just be over anticipating issues that won't be there. I'm used to racing where every task is parsed out to individual crew members so that every movement of the boat and trim of the sails is crisp and quick.

I have a pair of Barient 22's within easy reach just forward of the wheel. And I do have an autopilot too, but I'd rather not resort to using it for tacking if I don't have to.

I'm just having a hard time trying to visualize how, (while sailing close hauled on a breezy day for example), I'm going to turn the wheel, release the lazy sheet, and reel in the working sheet to a point where I won't have to wear out the crank trimming in afterward... All while making sure the boat maintains the proper angle to the wind.

It sounds like you're not having any trouble, so I guess I just need to work through the timing of doing it myself.

(I'm still gonna try the centerline block setup to see if it works. It doesn't cost anything to rig it that way, and it'll only take a handful of tacks to know if it works or not).

Last edited by backcreeksailor; 04-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook