SailNet Community - View Single Post - Here's the plan
Thread: Here's the plan
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009
"Nevis Nice"

hphoen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Imperative during this that I teach the Admiral all she needs to know about sailing.
Dave,

My advice to you is to keep an open mind as far as your wife's participation in your sailing dream.

For us, it turned out that my wife hates sailing the boat, but loves sailing on the boat. In other words, she loves being a passenger and having me do all the sailing. If I had pushed her too hard for her to take courses, read sailing textbooks, and learn to sail, she would have bailed out.

We worked our way up to cruising. We had a lot of family fun with the kids on a Hobie 16, then started chartering keelboats, then bought a small swing keel sailboat (ODay 222), and finally chose an Island Packet 380 as our cruising boat (with a lot of input from her). We day-sailed on the Chesapeake, got into cruising around the Bay in the IP, and then to my astonishment, she agreed to sail to Bermuda with me. We ended up cruising up and down the Lesser Antilles for two years.

Your wife might end up fighting you for time at the wheel. But I guess my point is that it's important to make sure you really listen to what your wife wants and doesn't want as you work you way toward your goal. Make it her dream, too.