SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan Heritage 1 Ton ?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
I raced a Heritage One Ton out of Saginaw Bay, Michigan for several years. we placed 5th in our class in 1981 Chicago-Mac race. That was the year of one of the worst big blows ever. We had winds over 70 kn off and on for about 7 hours at on point. A lot of boats quit and a few were dismasted but we made the finish line - puke and all.

Later, we moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area and I found another Heritage to crew. We placed 3rd in class boat of the year one season. There was one other Heritage on the lake as well.

After many seasons of racing, the rudder post fatigued and snapped off while we were leading in a long race. We were quartaring on a close reach in 28 kn of wind. Fortunately, it broke below the hull so no leaks. I recall the rudder post was 4" diameter solid SS bar.

We pioneered a few new sail schemes that worked well with the extremely stiff rig. Try having a 3/4 oz tri-radial kite made with the first two panels 1-1/2 oz. It flys well up to 22 kn of apparent and holds shape. On the other end, we carried a 1/2 oz rip-stop nylon high cut 150% geny for very light air. It was a killer on those Lake Erie hot summer drifters.

I just posted a couple photos from the good-ole days of the Heritage in my gallery.
http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/159746

Last edited by NICHOLSON58; 04-14-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook