SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan Heritage 1 Ton ?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
The short (long) story on how I bought my Heritage...

Back in '80 I was crewing on a Peterson 34. We thought we were pretty hot, the best of the best from s couple of yacht clubs, private syndicate yada yada yada...

After a spring of training and looking smart on the races we entered, we were thinkin we had the Block Island Race Week that year in our class, if not overall, in the bag. We did pretty good that week, but there was this one boat that always had us by a spot. I think we had like two 2nds, two 3rds and a 4th. Consistant concidering every other boat (but one) tanked at least one race. You see there was this Blue hulled with Buff decked Heritage One Ton in our class. We tried protesting it's rating, and anything else we could think of, but no dice. I vowed to own a boat like that one day.

Flash forward to 2000. I see a YachtWorld listing for a Pearson 37. Hmmmm, Don't recall one of those.... The listing had a picture that was NOT a Pearson, but something very familiar... White hull, white decks blue boot top stripes.

I went down to the broker's office, he pointed out what dock she was on and I went down to check her out. What I found was a rough, but sound, Heritage One Ton. Looking through her papers, I found out that she was once Blue with Buff decks, our nemesis from the '80 BI Week!

Bought her next day and began a slow and delightful rebuilding process that continues to this day.

Last edited by Silmaril; 04-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook