SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Salvage, Lightning Striker, Lancer 36, Blisters, Hull Moisture
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009

epatter is on a distinguished road
Agreed. I think everyone has to know what their priorities are -- it was funny in a way hearing feedback from people around town and the boatyard in looking at this boat over the past few days because it really brought out what they liked or didn't like. A lot were quick to chime in without discussing issues and ideas about the boat and sailing. :-)
Anyway, I decided ultimately not to bid. Someone might get a decent deal, but it will no doubt be a lot of work. And I learned a lot in reading up -- so now a know a lot more about laminates, blisters, repair, lightning strikes, etc. :-)
The bit which SailinDog mentioned, and I had read yesterday, about lighting exiting at many places through a hull and creating many holes (from large to small undetectable) is pretty wild, but also just one more difficulty to add to a boat like this.
I was willing to live on it, work on it, and eventually sail it, but I decided I rather just wait (living on a powerboat now) until I can get a sailboat that will require just a bit less work. ;-) Thanks for all the good feedback and discussion, too.
On a side note, the whole lightning strike thing is very interesting. I heard that one local boat may have been hit twice?!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook