SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sunbrella fabric and 303 retreatment
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
I went to a class on sunbrella and they talked of a person who complained of mildew on the sail. They said no matter how many times they water proofed the sail cover the sail still mildewed. We were told the cause was the water proofed sail cover. That the sunbrella used for that is to keep the UV off the sail and that water proofing it only kept the moisture in causing the sail to stay wet. Just passing this along for info. I had no idea how many types and grades sunbrella made. An incredible array of uses
This is from the application of an incorrect waterproofing treatment and, well, lack of use of his sail..

303 High Tech Fabric Guard does NOT change the breathability of the Sunbrella it only makes the fibers repel water and not absorb it. With no waterproofing or the wrong water proofing or if the fabric is allowed to "wet out" it takes LONGER to dry. When it takes longer to dry or does not breathe mold begins to grow.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard will no exacerbate mold growth beyond any natural occurrence and will actually lessen in on fabric that is wetting out.

I know our Glen Raven rep personally and have had at length discussions about the proper treatments for Sunbrella and 303 is it. Glen Raven has tested just about every product out there and they trust their reputation to 303 HTFG only. They get ZERO return on this other than a good reputation by recommending the right product for their fabric and that is 303 HTFG.

You can cut corners or try otehr products but they do not perform as well as 303 on Sunbrella.

A funny story,

A friend of mine, & fellow CS owner, is the sales manager for Ferrari Fabrics, the makers of Stamoid marine fabrics and the fabric that covers the Denver Airport and most of the sports stadiums in this country and throughout the world. He told me this story at the Maine Boat Builders show a month or so ago.

Ferrari actually makes their own Stamoid cleaner and treatment products. One day they happened to try two products made and sent to them by IMAR the makers of IMAR Strattaglass cleaner. The IMAR products performed so much better than Ferrari's own product they sent the product to the factory for thorough testing.

The bottom line is that Ferrari now has hundreds of cases of their own product, bought and paid for, collecting dust in a warehouse and they now recommend IMAR Staimoid products over their own!! This cost them not only the price of the cases upon cases of unused Staimoid cleaner but also a huge cost to re-print literature and a loss in proffit margin for products which they now make ZERO dollars on..

Sometimes companies recommend products because they are the BEST products for the treatment of it.

I know many will continue to doubt this, and recommend Pledge for dodger glass and Thompson's Water Proofing for Sunbrella, but it's true.

In the case of Staimoid (IMAR products), Strattaglass (IMAR products) and Sunbrella (303 HTFG) none of these manufacturers recommend products they make, own or have any vested of financial interest in.

They recommend them because it will give YOU the BEST performance from a product you paid BIG money for and it will leave them with a solid reputation as a long lasting & time tested product..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-16-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook