SailNet Community - View Single Post - Permanent Dock Lines, Tie Up Procecures, & Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Permanent Dock Lines, Tie Up Procecures, & Electrolysis

I'm trying to figure out the lengths of dock line that I need to buy for when I get my boat to my slip.

It's a 30' boat, the slip is 40'x15', It's got 3 pilings on either side of the boat, and I'm assuming I'll be using the 2 closest to shore and the 2 furthest out to tie off to. What size docklines should I buy? And should I get 4 or 6 just for "permanent" tie up? (I plan on tying up stern to shore & bow out)

I see websites online that show usage of spring lines for a boat that's tied to one side of a dock. But nothing for a boat that's in a slip surrounded on all sides by pilings. I've seen boats use spring lines over their primaries, but the vast majority in my marina don't seem to use them at all. For Chesapeake Bay tides, should I use them or no?

And just to make this even longer... I see some boats that run a copper wire with an alligator clip from the dock to someplace on their rigging. I'm assuming this is to help with electrolysis and nothing more. Again, some people do this, but most don't in my marina. If dock power is going to remain connected to my boat to run the charger, does the ground from that cable serve this purpose? Or Do I need the separate wire with an alligator clip setup?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook