SailNet Community - View Single Post - Permanent Dock Lines, Tie Up Procecures, & Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We use 6 lines all of the same length. Two stern lines, which we criss cross for better cross wind stability. Four lines on the outer most pilings. Two one each side. One set is for the bow, the other for the spring lines. FYI the spring lines keep the wind from pushing you back into the dock. They have nothing to do to offset the tide. As for the tides on the bay, they vary widely and you'll have to find out what the ranges are in your area. Annapolis has apx a 1 1/2' swing while the head of the Sassafras River in the northern bay can see 3-4' swings. Ask your neighbors what they see and then validate it yourself observing max lows and highs.

I've never seen anyone connect a copper wire from the rigging to the dock. I assume it's to ground the boat in the event of a lightning strike??? I can't imagine it doing anything unless it's attached to something metallic on the dock that leads to a substantial ground plane. Connected directly to the wood isn't going to do anything.
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook