SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time sail boat buyer

View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-10-2001 Thread Starter
martinojon

First time sail boat buyer

Hello everyone,
Let me start by saying I know nothing about sailing except for the fact that I really want to learn and will do everything possible to start. I do have a fair amount of experience with power boating and have owned a 24 ft cruiser. Now that I have graduated law school and am starting my first job I want to learn how to sail.
My question is what kind of boat do I want. I would like to purchase a sailboat (used) and know very little. I would like to use my boat here in Boston, for day trips, weekend trips, to sail around Boston harbor. But I would also like a boat that would have the ability to sail to New York for a weekend trip, or possibly if it could sail a bit farther to the Bahamas (after much experience and some professional lessons). I would like all this and a boat that I could take out and sail on my own as! Is there such a boat? What are your suggestions to start me off on my quest for the appropriate boat? Any suggestions on Size, make, tiller v. wheel, Inboard outboard, or whether to go with a trailer v. docking my boat will be great. Thank you so much.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome