SailNet Community - View Single Post - Permanent Dock Lines, Tie Up Procecures, & Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Don't try to use the ty-up lines when you travel.

Docking in an oversized slip is a pain as it is. Get a travel set too. They will last a long time.

Lines don't fail, they chafe. Cover all chafe points with tubular webbing. It is better than hose. Cheap from REI or other climbing stores.

Springlines really help cut down on surging, and they make it possible to keep the boat closer to the dock SAFELY. My wife has arthritis, and so that is a big factor.

Catamarans are always in over-length slips, so I feel your pain. Rig 2 lines, from the outer pilings to the inners, as guides. BIG help in a cross wind, when the bow pilings seem SO far away while you are getting the stern pilings tied. there is simply no good way to control the situation short of single handed. Don't worry if they look uncool. Scratched gel coat and bashed docks are uncool.

Best tip. Spend several nights on the boat, evaluating how she lies as the tide and wind change. It can be both relaxing and informative.

Don't figure you will get it right the first try. That would make you a god. I like to set it up so that when I get in, all I have to do is drop loops through then over cleats, but getting ALL of the lengths right takes time.

Finally, getting under a dock on a low tide is worse than touching a piling. I've seen the aftermath.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook