SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Repair Recommendations Needed
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I do the same thing... but you have to remember to put a few extra turns on the furling drum so you can do this. Also, I highly recommend leaving a few wraps on the drum, since some of the drums can split if the loads get too high on it and there aren't at least a couple warps of the furling line on it.

The reason I put the sail ties on the sail is if the furling line breaks or comes loose... it prevents the sail from unfurling. It's a bit overkill for normal weather, but if I'm going to be leaving the boat for more than a few days or if heavy weather is expected, I'll do it. The sail tie will also go around the genoa sheets that are wrapped around the sail, so they can't come undone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
But how exactly does the sail unfurl itself in high winds? When I roll up my sail I make sure to roll it up so that it has about 3-4 wraps around it with the sheets acting like a sail tie I guess. Also before I coil up the sheets in the cockpit I make sure they are sheeted off fairly tight to a cleat so there is no way they are going to ease up. Also I make sure the furling line is well secured to its own cleat the everything is rolled up tight and cleated off so it can't unwind.

I am just curious if this is what everyone else does/what you are suppossed to do and how the sail could come loose from that?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook