SailNet Community - View Single Post - Asking vs Selling price
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 12-30-2004
sailingfool
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Asking vs Selling price

Given knowledgeable buyers and sellers, I think the delta between the asking and purchase prices relates to two factors:
1. Seller time-to-money - a seller willing to wait for what they think a boat might bring will ask high, and if not lucky, over time this expectation erodes and the delta starts to grow. So look for time-on-market, two-boat seller, or best of all, a trade-in.
2. Boats with problems - seller knows the problems and their costs with exactness, but asks anyway a market price that doesn''t reflect the value of their particular example. If the seller doesnt find a un-knowing or unfortunate buyer, the subsequent delta reflects the actual value of this boat versus the market average.

Do not in any case assume that a big delta is a sign of a good deal, I think it is far more likely a sign of a problem boat, and the buyer usually doesn''t figure all the problems out until they''re the owner. My advice - value boats which offer little delta because they''ve been continually updated and maintained.

My opinion - any buyer who thinks a deal so good they are stealing the boat, is probably being robbed...
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome