SailNet Community - View Single Post - What makes a good family cruiser boat?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004

ghostsailors is on a distinguished road
What makes a good family cruiser boat?

Hi tziehm,

I probably won''t have the answer to your question. We liveaboard our Formosa 51'' with 2 small kids (ages 2 and 4). When we bought our boat, we were looking for a home. Some things that come to mind for me would be the amount of deck space for the kids to be able to run and play. That is one of the things I love the best about our boat. There aren''t many things on deck that the kids can trip on. We have netting on the life lines around the boat and that really helps with piece of mind. I agree with Jack about having a boat that is easy to manage because one of you will always be on kid duty, most likely. Our kids have their own room with bunks, but they would be so happy to crash anywhere on the boat if need be. Kids are so adaptable. Before we bought our Formosa, we had a Sun 27'' that was extremely comfortable. The table lifted up and attached to the wall, so there would have been a little extra room for kids to play. My suggestion would be to go to a boat show and check out the different boats. I think that everyone is going to have different ideas of what the best options would be. You need to find something that is going to suit you. Good luck in your search!

Angela
S/V Ghost
Seattle, WA
www.ghostsailors.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook