SailNet Community - View Single Post - Manual Bilge Pump
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Manual Bilge Pump

Ok, so I'm rewiring my first system and getting rid of the mess of spaghetti and wiring splicers left by the PO on the current electric bilge pump. No problems there.

But I have a question about the manual bilge pump. After sitting in the yard since last fall with no batteries in it, the bilge was full almost to the sole. I tried then unsuccessfully to pump out using the manual pump. So I'm not sure if the pump itself needs replacing, but I'm confused about the pickup hose.

First, it's at least twice the diameter of the Rule 1500 discharge hose, which seems like it would take a LOT of water to make it even pump in the first place. But while I was working on the electric bilge pump, I notice the hose for the manual snakes past the electric and disapears under the mast through a round pipe that's about 6" in diameter and appears to lead to the area under the shower pan. When I try pulling it out gently, it seems to be attached to something on the other side, but I have no idea what is holding it.

So my questions are:

1. Is the diameter of the hose SUPPOSED to be this large?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then is this system only intended for emergency use when the boat filled above the sole?

3. Does the pickup hose location I described sound normal?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes, then are there any ideas as to what the other end of the hose is connected to that won't allow it to be pulled free?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook