SailNet Community - View Single Post - Permanent Dock Lines, Tie Up Procecures, & Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
My slip is perfectly sized for my 36' boat and we dock head in, so we have a waterview from the cockpit, and folks on the dock don't have a view of my saloon. We use 2 lines crossed at the bow, 2 lines crossed at the stern and a single set of springlines on the starboard side, since the finger pier is on the port side and springs there would be a tripping hazard. For heavy weather prep, I add additional sets of lines bow and stern and put springlines on the port side, strip sails and canvas and put out our spare fenders and fenderboards.

Our previous boat was a 32 in a slip sized for a 40+ foot boat. Docking there was a pain, since you had to retreive the stern lines and aft springline from the aft pilings as you entered the slip and pay them out as you moved forward to position the boat where you wanted to secure it. Once in the slip, it was secured in a similar fashion to our current boat with 10' of line between the stern and the piling. On the plus side, I could dock my dingy behind my boat and not have anything in the fairway. lol

I don't tie off to a winch, but I have read that if you do, you should tie off is such a way that the load is not applied to the winch pawls. I took it to mean it was ok to put a loop over the winch and secure the other end, but not to put a loop around a piling and wrap the line on the winch as you would when it was in use. I can't say if it really will prevent damage to the winch but it sounds reasonable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook