SailNet Community - View Single Post - Poorly Running 9.9 Merc Outboard
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009

SpeedAgent is on a distinguished road
Poorly Running 9.9 Merc Outboard

I've searched for advice on my outboard issue and all of the results seem to be conflicting.

I have a 2001 Mercury 9.9 outboard on my Catalina that I bought in November. When I bought it the engine would start fine, but once I got going at 1/3-1/2 throttle the engine would eventually bog down and then turn off. Restarting was not possible unless I started it in gear, but then it would eventually cut off. The choke would change its running habit, but only for seconds, then it would turn off again.

I changed the plugs a few weeks ago and initially it ran super and I thought the problem was fixed. A couple of sails later and it runs the same as when I bought it. It initially starts great and it will idle just fine, but once I get going it will bog down and turn off and restarting is nearly impossible unless in gear.

I'm pretty frustrated at this point. The original gas that was in the tank when I bought it has been exchanged and fresh gas/oil mixture is running in the tank. I'm sure the plugs are fouled, but I have not confirmed that, only an assumption since it is back to running poorly.

I have a manual for this engine, but don't know where to start and don't have time to rebuild anything on my own. Can anyone suggest anything simple to check or am I in for a carb rebuild? At this point I can't sail this boat since I am fearful of not being able to return to dock.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook