SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stern anchor suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Stern anchor suggestions

Whoosh,

Ah, yes. I guess it would be an important point to explain how/where I''ll be using it.

I''ll be in the Gulf/Caribbean/East Coast for the foreseeable future. The intended use for the 35lb Danforth is (in order of importance):

1. emergency - able to toss it overboard quickly to slow/stop headway in a harbor, around docks, etc.. God forbid I ever need it in this capacity though.

2. Alternative to CQR''s - As you noted the CQR may not be the anchor of choice in some bottoms. In that case I''d take everything forward, secure it to the sampson post

I think this is the main reason compelling me to stick with the 3/8" HT chain as that is the size that fits my windless. However, should I need to switch types I think I''d be better off simply swapping anchors at the existing tackle (e.g. unshackling CQR/shackling on Danforth).

3. Bahamian moor - hopefully self-explanatory.

4. A more portable kedging ''tool''.

In short, basically a manual backup.

You are spot on regarding the ''geometry'' of handling a stern anchor. It''s the precise reason I''m trying to avoid making (man)handling it such a physically demanding job that, emergencies aside, I''d tend not to use it at all even when I probably should. e.g. entertainment for others using the sheet winch if fine by me... I have to accomodate the weak & lazy in me

And indeed, it is bringing it back onboard without banging the hull/etc. to pieces that I''m thinking about as well . You are at least better off than me by having a stern roller. All I have is a boomkin to stand on to keep all that nasty abrasive chain and pointy ended metal from attacking the topsides.

Something you didn''t mention (but I''m sure you thought about it) is not to forget there is a lot of ''neutrally bouyant'' nylon rope just itching to get wrapped around your prop shaft
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook