SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar starting question
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar starting question

I have a Yanmar 3GMD on my boat that was recently professionaly rebuilt and ran 100% perfectly all of last year and I used it a lot. This year it started right up for the first time and ran perfect. However since then I have changed the oil and the secondary fuel filter which is a Racor located in a cabinet under my sink. The engine fired back up fine.

However it seems that the past few times I go the boat the engine is having a lot of trouble starting. It turns over fine but it takes me a while to get it going - more than it ever has before. Today it took 3 attempts for about 5-7 seconds each before it finally went. Once it runs, it runs perfectly and if I shut it down and wait 10 mins or so it starts right back up but if I leave the boat and come back the next day I have the same trouble.

Does this sound like an air in the fuel lines sort of thing? The only thing I can think of was I did something or air got in somehow when I changed the Racor but then once I get it started why would the engine run fine?

Also the previous owner placed a pressure guage on one of the outlet sides of the Racor and I did notice it reads 0pressure. I tried loosenign the vent screw on the top of the racor and pumping the fuel prime switch on the engine but never saw any fuel or air bubble leave the vent screw ontop of the Racor. Is there another way to bleed the fuel filter?

Thanks