SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stowing glass jars
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Stowing glass jars

Gord mentions something I wish I''d thought to add, and want to repeat it for emphasis: we''ve had many a plastic container fail for one reason or another, either via being abraded, punctured, or simply offering a less successful seal, perhaps because the material allows distortion if overtightened. And the problems aren''t just with food & beverage containers. One example, which I notice is quite common, has been 1 gal containers of lube oil, which can develop crease or puncture leaks no matter how carefully chocked and protected.

While we''re at it, let''s also call attention to aluminum cans. They seem to suffer puncture leaks easily, as well, and perhaps aren''t given the careful storage they require because ''they''re metal''.

Perhaps one reason plastic failures aren''t uncommon for WHOOSH is the fact that we decant a lot of things into plastic containers (from glass or cans) and so the odds with plastic are just greater. But plastic is hardly foolproof while glass has, for us, yet to cause a problem. (Well...there are those times when I''m washing the dishes...).

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook