SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS & Computer
Thread: GPS & Computer
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005

OkSanJuan is on a distinguished road
GPS & Computer

RE: Clean air circulation for computer

I work as an IT professional. Years ago, I was employed for a local computer company. We had one firm who had many systems in a chemical plant, where there were lots of corrosive things in the air. We devised a rather simple, but very effective system. It extended life on the systems from a few months to several years.

I''m not sure if/how this could be retrofitted to a boat environment, but here''s the basics:

Get one of the air-compressor quick couplers, and drill a hole in the side of the case then mount this. Connect an air source (in our case, one of the plant air compressors). We then reversed all the fans, so they blow OUT of the system, instead of sucking into it. This provides a positive clean air flow into the case, so it doesn''t breathe the outside air.

Like I said, I''m not sure if/how this could be fitted into a boating environment, but maybe some crafty sailor out there can come up with something.

And on the note of Dell computers, they do seem to have their own (or maybe more than normal) share of manufacture/configuration products, but once you get a good unit, they stand up very well. We have a fleet of about 30 laptops, and over 300 desktops in our company, and have great success. Of course, they come in the door and immediately receive our standard ''image'' of installation, so no config problems for us.

Happy sailing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook