SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stern anchor suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Stern anchor suggestions

My $.02...
I''ll probably get some flak on my opinion but it is based on cruising (not hearsay) FL and Bahamas in sailboats and owning CQRs, Danforths, Fishermen, Northills, Alum Fortress and various others...but no Bruce types.

For Florida (soft/hard sand) the Bahamas (grass/sand) your 35lb CQR with 3/8" chain on a 20k lb boat is basically a lunch hook for fair weather. If the winds pipe you will eventually drag. Put 25'' of chain on a 35CQR and that is a marginal working size for 10K lb sailboat.

The 45lb CQR w/50'' chain is a working anchor for a 20k lb boat. It will be hanging on the chain in hard blows and may drag in severe t-storm squalls.

The 35lb Danforth will out perform both by a large margin in sand/grass with only 10'' of chain and 7x scope.

I don''t do CQRs or aluminum Fortress types. CQRs have to be massively heavy to equal Danforth lightweights. My experience with an aluminun Fortress wasn''t positive. It was equal in size to a 40lb standard Danforth but weighed same as 16lb Danforth S. It was light to handle but the lightweight flukes didn''t set easily. They wouldn''t press down grass and set like the heavier Danforth.

For a "stop at the dock" anchor I''d do the 35 Danforth with 15'' of chain and place it at the stern. Then run the line back to the bow so it gives at least a boat length of scope when you first drop it...one boatlength may save you from hitting the dock. It will turn the bow for you this way too.

You didn''t ask but here''s what anchors I carried on a 24k lb sailboat for FL/Bahamas.
(2) working 22lb Danforths off the bow.
(1) storm 40lb & 60lb Danforth
(1) 50lb yachtsman (hard grass and coral)
(1) 45lb Northill (coral)
(2) 13lb Danforth kedges
(2) 8lb Danforth kedges
(1) 2.5 lb Danforth - dink

Had a 25lb CQR, 45lb CQR with all chain on this boat and the alum Fortress. Sold them all and replaced with Danforths. I tried hi tensiles but preferred standards. I also sold the all chain rodes and went with short chain and nylon. Always two anchors out when cruising so I didn''t worry about tripping.

To each his own with anchors...but I wouldn''t go cruising without plenty of them.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook