SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar starting question
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009

neilmcd is on a distinguished road
Air Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Well obviously people disagree on this one. I still believe you have a small air leak. Hence the extra cranking after the engine sits. Here's how to test the theory. After letting the engine sit, bleed the system before trying to start it. If it fires right up after bleeding it, you have an air leak. If there is no change and it still requires the extra cranking time, you don't.
I agree 100% with SteveInMD. I have recurring problems with a small air leak at the banjo joint on the low pressure side of the fuel supply system. The bolt holding the banjo joint in place tends to slacken slightly over time. As soon as this happens, a small air leak occurs and the engine then has to be turned over a lot more times before it will start quickly.

About twice a season I notice that the engine is not starting as normal. I then immediately tighten this bolt and the starting is normal again! Have though about using a thread locker solution but am reluctant to get this stuff anywhere near my fuel system!

I always keep the throttle wide open until the engine fires.

Last edited by neilmcd; 04-19-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook