SailNet Community - View Single Post - American 14.6 or 18
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
O'Day Daysailer ??

At just under 17 feet, an O'Day Daysailer may suit the purpose even better. There were zillions made and used (for family use, not racing) are available all over the place for $800 - $2,000 complete (boat, trailer, decent sails). Virtually all parts are still available at Cape Cod Shipbuilding and D&R Marine.

There's a very active Class Association and website (DaySailer.org) with forums, classifieds, etc.

It accomodates 4 adults quite well (3 on the high side while one stays low) and the boom clears heads without ducking. It will plane in wind > 12 knots or so and we've clocked over 9 MPH on our handheld GPS on an inland lake.

I'm in my mid-50s and my wife and I can be in the water within 15 minutes of reaching the ramp... about the same at pull-out.

Daysailers were produced in two basic flavors (same hull, rigging, sails for both). Earlier models (60s into early 80s), the DS I, had an open cuddy and mahogony floorboards and coamings with a centerboard operated by a lever. The DS II was produced late 70s thru the 80s (There was a short time, I think, when both models were produced). The DS II is all plastic and its cuddy is semi-enclosed and can be secured with hatch boards. The DS II centerboard is raised / lowered by a line-block design (some feel is inferior to the DS I's lever). DS II Seating goes all the way to the transom (the DS I has a 1-foot rear deck that takes away some cockpit space).

I replaced my DS II when I came across a very nice DS I at a great price. I like the saltier look of the wood coamings and floorboards and the open, more accessible cuddy. But if you are mooring or dry-sailing where security is a concern, the DS II with its enclosed lockable cuddy may be the better choice.

One step up performance-wise, still with readily available parts, an active Class Association and room for four is the 18 foot Chrysler Buccaneer (still made by Nickols).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook