SailNet Community - View Single Post - mast boot
Thread: mast boot
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjns View Post
Faster - now you have done it.
What do you mean "don't assume the mast partners are centered" that was my very first assumption.
So what does one measure to, to ensure it is centered? Grab rails, toe-rails, if the partners aren't centered how can I be sure of anything else?

As far as the fore/aft, rake/bend goes, I have asked that question of 10 people and received 10 answers. What is a the right answer?

I had assumed that with a furler being a fixed length and the mast step being unmovable that it would be pretty hard to get it wrong.
Perhaps I am missing something?
Sorry to get you bothered.. I have seen (and owned) a boat with a keel stepped mast on which the mast hole was not perfectly centered athwartships. We discovered this by measuring from the sides of the mast to the chainplates and to the deck edge. I would expect this situation to be rather rare, but it's a simple check to be sure.

As to the proper rake for the Ticon 30, best to try to talk to other owners for some guidelines, it's mostly something you know is wrong when you routinely have excess weather helm. or lee helm. I assume you've had the boat a while so if, as you say, the forestay/furler is not adjustable or has not been adjusted, then making sure the mast step goes back exactly where it was should get you back to your original settings. After that it's simply making sure the masthead is centered (again measure with a halyard to the toerails) and set the mast straight by adjusting the shrouds.

From the lines drawing I have of the T30 I see you've got a single spreader frac rig showing a rather straight mast with little rake. Again, if you've been happy with the way it's sailed so far then putting things back where they were should be fine!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook