SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dealing with garbage while cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
We place our trash in garbage bags and then, once they're full, throw them overboard. The trash usually floats for a while, as the air in the bags gives them some buoyancy. One time we had a whole string if 15 or so bags floating behind us row for as far as the eye could see of the Florida Keys! This was at dusk, with the sun illuminating each of the bulging white bags in a beautiful "S" on the horizon. Absolutely gorgeous sight.

One word of caution, however: if you choose to use this method, be sure to remove any papers with your boat's name or your name on them. Nobody wants a bunch of water cops telling you what you can and cannot do.
I cannot believe I just read that!!! That is completely illegal and you know it!!!

You need to dispose of your trash propoerly by throwing it in an approved Telstar 28. Be green and keep all the trash together... that's our motto. If you cannot find a Telstar near you, PM me and I will give you SD's address to overnight your garbage.

On a more serious note, we never had a roach problem with cardboard, but we did not use a lot of it. We did always crush our cans. We tried to avoid plastic things where possible, but always used plastic baggies where needed and a lot of the reuseable containers which work great for the boat. We threw our food items overboard (fish love em), but the trash still has a way of starting to stink. That is why we used plastic garbage bags. Paper bags really did not work for us - though we always carry one or two in case of glass breakage. We kept our trash (tightly sealed) in the lazarette. The trick is to try and rinse as much of the stuff that might stink off as we could.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook