SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dealing with garbage while cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I cannot believe I just read that!!! That is completely illegal and you know it!!!

You need to dispose of your trash propoerly by throwing it in an approved Telstar 28. Be green and keep all the trash together... that's our motto. If you cannot find a Telstar near you, PM me and I will give you SD's address to overnight your garbage.
This coming from the guy who uses his brick BBQ pit as an incinerator...

Quote:
On a more serious note, we never had a roach problem with cardboard, but we did not use a lot of it. We did always crush our cans. We tried to avoid plastic things where possible, but always used plastic baggies where needed and a lot of the reuseable containers which work great for the boat. We threw our food items overboard (fish love em), but the trash still has a way of starting to stink. That is why we used plastic garbage bags. Paper bags really did not work for us - though we always carry one or two in case of glass breakage. We kept our trash (tightly sealed) in the lazarette. The trick is to try and rinse as much of the stuff that might stink off as we could.

- CD
Seriously... I think you need to have a decent trash management plan and you need to keep food trash separate from dry trash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook