SailNet Community - View Single Post - Firearms Aboard in MD
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Sounds about as I would expect. I hunt from my Jon boat, haul guns, decoys, ammunition. (Michigan) Its no big deal here. If you intend to discharge a gun the means of propulsion must be off and the vessel slowed to essentially random brownian motion. If you point the gun at Federally regulated migratory birds you must have a license, Fed stamp, non-toxic shot, in season, not in a posted no-hunt or proteced zone, not in city limits, not within 150 yards of an occupied building. You must also have a reasonable expectation of and you shall attempt to retrive your trophy. See, its easy! Oh, by the way, the gun is supposed to be unloaded if the vessel is moving under power or sail. The State DNR doesn't care what boat you hunt from here. We are free here to trasport any legal firearm here in whatever vessel we choose. Sorry to hear the east coast liberals have managed to circumvent your 2nd amentment rights.

I didn't say that asserting your 4th amendment rights would go over well. It is especially unlikely to go far with a Federal agent. You will probably do better with county and state enforcement especially if you've done nothing and you can show your life jackets, registration etc. We had a series of incidents off Cleveland a few years ago where the city water police and the CG-AUX decided to start pulling sailors over for inspections during race events. We collectively told them to pound salt and made it stick. Most enforcement around here recognizes sailors as a pretty good set of extra eyes when they need them and generally safer and better prepared than most.

One thing apparently difficult for locals to understand is that registered vessels may not display state numbers. I still must display the water use tag. That used to really bother the county sheriff and city cops - mostly untrained except for issuing tickets. Registered vessels get stopped regularly & even by the same officers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook