SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sabre 38 Mk2 vs J-40 or others
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009

reillyjd is on a distinguished road
Sabre 38 Mk2 vs J-40 or others

Colleagues -

The ' next boat gyrocompass' is currently pointing towards either a J-40, or a Sabre 38 MK2. Both fit the criteria of 20ish year old boats that offer the necessary criteria of spirited sailing, quality build, decent headroom, and of course - good looks. This boat will be used primarily on the middle Chesapeake, with expectations to do some PHRF racing on occasion, and a weekly summer cruise plus several long weekends. Given that, I'd welcome informed thoughts on the following questions:

Short handed sailing: This is important, and the J puts the main sheet by the helm. The Sabre has it on coach top. Has anyone spent time with both, and if so what thoughts do you have on how it worked with a two person crew (when not racing)?

Keel types: I strongly prefer a fixed keel over a centerboard, however several of the Sabres are k/cb. Accepting the fact that one is as likely to run aground in a boat that draws 3' vs 6' (albeit one does it in different water depths), how much of a hassle is the Sabre centerboard arrangement?

Maintenance issues: What issues should I be watching for during the survey? What maintenance issues do owners wish they had considered in advance. For example, the J seems to have minimal brightwork, but has two heads... , whereas the Sabre has a single head (to clog) but more brightwork.

Docking: Thoughts on how the boats compare docking and handling in close quarters, again considering it will often be used with a crew of 2.

Other vessels to consider? In this range, has anyone come across other interesting boat models to consider? Tartan has a good following in the area

Cheers in advance,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook