SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sabre 38 Mk2 vs J-40 or others
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Comments in bold... best of luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reillyjd View Post
Colleagues -

The ' next boat gyrocompass' is currently pointing towards either a J-40, or a Sabre 38 MK2. Both fit the criteria of 20ish year old boats that offer the necessary criteria of spirited sailing, quality build, decent headroom, and of course - good looks. This boat will be used primarily on the middle Chesapeake, with expectations to do some PHRF racing on occasion, and a weekly summer cruise plus several long weekends. Given that, I'd welcome informed thoughts on the following questions:

Short handed sailing: This is important, and the J puts the main sheet by the helm. The Sabre has it on coach top. Has anyone spent time with both, and if so what thoughts do you have on how it worked with a two person crew (when not racing)?

I much prefer the mainsheet in the cockpit/accessible to the helm. For me this could be a deal breaker unless modifications were straightforward.

Keel types: I strongly prefer a fixed keel over a centerboard, however several of the Sabres are k/cb. Accepting the fact that one is as likely to run aground in a boat that draws 3' vs 6' (albeit one does it in different water depths), how much of a hassle is the Sabre centerboard arrangement?

Not a local to that area, but it seems to me there's always discussion of shoals and frequent groundings in that area.. shallower must be better (if your performance criteria can still be met)

Maintenance issues: What issues should I be watching for during the survey? What maintenance issues do owners wish they had considered in advance. For example, the J seems to have minimal brightwork, but has two heads... , whereas the Sabre has a single head (to clog) but more brightwork.

"Clogged" heads should be a rarity... having to varnish and care for brightwork will not be.. unless you're hooked on "the look" in this case less is more.

Docking: Thoughts on how the boats compare docking and handling in close quarters, again considering it will often be used with a crew of 2.

I'd expect both these boats to have reasonable behaviour in those situations...

Other vessels to consider? In this range, has anyone come across other interesting boat models to consider? Tartan has a good following in the area

Cheers in advance,

And to you!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook