SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mallorca?
Thread: Mallorca?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mallorca?

This thread had begun in July 2004, last post in November so I don''t know if this is of any help to JKELLEY, but could help someone with a similar program.

I know well the Ballearic Islands and to do what Jkelley wants I think that the best way is to "crew" a boat, kind of a school boat (normally a 42 to 45 feet)that sails with a very experienced skipper and takes normally 7 people with low sailing knowledge, sometimes some with none.

There are several possibilities, being most of those boats connected with local sailing clubs in mainland marinas, just in front of the Balearic Islands (Altea, Denia etc).

Normally the boat sails after lunch and arrives to Ibiza at dawn. If you want, you learn how to sail and some navigation. If you want you go to sleep (you can be sure that the other members of the crew normally will want to learn, so it is more waiting for your time at the wheel).

Duration is one week and you don''t take too much time sailing. Lots of time sunbathing and anchored in nice little coves with cristal clear water, some nights in Marinas to have a night out in some nice places.

Normally there is not a defined program and the crew democratically choose destinations, the amount of time sailing and sunbathing.

It is not expensive, you pay for each person an importance relative to the boat and the skipper and the rest (food, marinas and fuel) you divide with the other crew members.

Those "sailing learning expeditions" are not organized by formal charter companies, but by the Regional Nautical clubs through their associates.

They organize also daily sailing in cruising boats, where you can learn the basics.

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook